Legal Requirements

A Civil Celebrant is appointed by the Australian Government’s Attorney General’s Department and is authorized to solemnise marriages anywhere in Australia in accordance with the Marriage Act 1961

Under the Marriage Act 1961 there are certain obligations that you, as a couple intending to marry must meet prior to a marriage ceremony being solemnised.

A Notice of Intending Marriage must be lodged with the Civil Celebrant of your choice no less than one calendar month and no more than eighteen months prior to the marriage date.

The Celebrant will need to sight.
Your Original Birth Certificate or authorized extract of certificate
A Valid Australian or Overseas Passport
The Celebrant will also need to site your Driver’s Licence.

If you have been divorced the Celebrant will need to see your Divorce papers (Decree Absolute) as well as the above mentioned documents

If you have been widowed the Celebrant will need to see your late spouse’s Death Certificate as well as the above mentioned documents.

Civil Celebrants can also conduct:-

  • Commitment Ceremonies
  • Renewal of Vows (Reaffirmation of Vows)
  • Naming Ceremonies
  • Funerals.